- Pea is away for three days at a work off-site, which means I have decided to work all day all the time. And eat more popcorn than is reasonable. It is the first time I have been alone in our house, and it turns out our house is not at all scary. Good!
- Saturday was the first day my throat was not sore in three and a half weeks. It has remained not sore. It is still not something I am taking for granted, three days later, because that sore throat was very detrimental to my quality of life.
- I ran a journal club today, the inaugural meeting. Now students take over presenting, but I said I’d bring the snacks. It is every other week, so that is six snack breaks for the rest of term. A colleague commented to another colleague, in my hearing “she’s going to burn out eventually”. My retort was “if buying cookies burns me out, I’m in trouble regardless”. I am annoyed by this comment. Journal club is my venture, and I want it to succeed. Students had already volunteered, not knowing snacks might be part of the purview. Students are objectively much poorer than I am. It is not hard to buy cookies.
- I might burn out. I feel like I’m barely on top of everything, and research is happening in the little squeezed-in corners. Slowly. Research should be my priority. Thankfully my students are getting some stuff done, and my busyness does not seem to be slowing them down much.
- I need to remember that grant writing counts towards my “research” productivity, even if it doesn’t feel like it. If I remember that, I’m doing ok. I need money to do the work I want to do, so the grant writing is an
essential evilnecessary first step.
- Where, oh where, did September go?