I’d like to write a post about the things I’m grateful for, because I’ve been listing them up in my head recently when I find myself reacting automatically negatively.
However, I have only five minutes, and a lab-book style update I want to get down, so I will be grateful tomorrow. Which is a pretty accurate summation of my mental state, really.
I had a consult with the anesthesiologist at the hospital where I will deliver this morning. It was annoyingly slow, but informative (scheduling appointments at 7:30 am when the doctor does not arrive until 9 am never makes sense to me, but this is so routine in hospital departments).
The upshot is:
If I’ve been off the blood thinner for at least 12 hours, ideally 24, then I have whatever options I wish available to me for labour (natural, epidural, c-section, whatever). This is the plan with induction at 39 weeks, and could work out with natural labour starting earlier than 39 weeks depending on the timing of my most recent dose of thinner.
If I have not been off the blood thinner for 12 hours, and/or my blood is not clotting sufficiently yet, then anything that involves puncturing my spinal column is off the table – epidural, and conscious c-section. If a c-section became necessary, I’d be put under general anesthetic.
I am annoyed, and a bit disgruntled. I’d love to be allowed to just wait and see when Spud initiates labour, and avoid an induction. I’m hoping to avoid an epidural or a c-section, but am open to them if they become necessary. I’d be so sad if I had to be put under for the c-section though. This may well be my only birth experience, I’d so much love to be conscious for it. I have no control over this, and thus will take the next few weeks to find some acceptance of these options so I’m not bitterly disappointed if they happen. I have been told to skip my evening dose of thinner if I’ve had an evening or afternoon of feeling weird or crampy – to see how I feel in the morning.
Best case scenario, Spud decides to initiate labour just pre-induction, when I’m already off the thinner. Best worst case scenario is that labour takes so long that by the time I require intervention, I’ve cleared the thinner regardless (and at that point, I might well want the epidural to offer some respite). Worst case scenario, obviously, is any form of emergency c-section, but especially one where I have to be out cold for it.
Only time will tell, but at least I know what to expect now. 36 weeks tomorrow, so not even that much time!