I missed a call three weeks ago. It wouldn’t be a big deal to miss a call, but this was our intake appointment with the fertility clinic in Hilly Quirky, and it took me 15 minutes to get through their reception system when calling back, at which point I’d lost our window with our doctor. We rescheduled the call for Tuesday this week.
I shouldn’t have missed those calls (my doctor tried twice). I was working on a figure for a paper, and I was totally absorbed, and my phone is always on silent. I should have flipped it to “noisy” earlier in the day when I was thinking about it, but I hate my phone impeding on my concentration.
Following our phone call, here’s the current plan for our FET in October to capitalize on us already being in Hilly Quirky. It’s…. tight, and likely to completely fail.
- I go for estrogen and progesterone blood work tomorrow to determine where I am at in my cycle, as I am cycle day 19 today*
- If my ovaries are nicely dormant still, I go on the pill to down-regulate them, and stay on it til the FET active timeline in early October
- In the meantime, I also go get a saline sonohysterogram (ouch!), to make sure pregnancy didn’t eff up my womb
- Once blood work, sonogram, and pill are in place, my clinic in Hilly Quirky will set up a calendar and schedule the transfer and provide the prescription plan
I need to be on the pill by the beginning of September (achievable).
I need to have the sonogram done around the same time, or at least with enough time for Lupron to start pre-FET, so mid-September latest (achievable? No idea wait times, but should be fine?).
I need my ovaries to currently be cooperating (I genuinely don’t think they are. There are rumblings, my friends, and a shift in the past four days from nothing much to distinctly egg-white. I have a familiar tautness building today across my abdomen, so I think I’m gearing up to ovulate. Which is amazing!)
I am mentally prepared for the blood work to come back with me 3-5 days out from ovulating, which will potentially kaibosh the entire FET. It might also still work – I’d have to wait til cycle day 1 (mid Sept) to do the sonogram, but there would still be enough time (I think?) to do a FET? I’ve never had a calendar that worked with a natural cycle, so I’m unclear on the timelines.
Honestly, if it doesn’t work out because my cycle is back and semi-regular, I am totally ok with trying for a few months and then planning a FET for winter 2019 sometime. I would love a few more months where my body is not actively providing for another’s. I only weaned Spud three weeks ago, and I’m not mentally excited about ceding that independence to a fetus so quickly.
* Friends, I ovulated! Right when I thought I would! I then had a 14 day LP, the longest unmedicated LP I have ever experienced! I’m pretty excited that it looks like my body is going to try again, this is unprecedented.